Traé’s Goblin (06’ SS/SC #501)

Traé

don’t forget to double check what I posted on the facespace post you made. Always good to double check yourself before tearing it down
I will check again. Am I able to rotate the engine as I’m testing and see if it seals at some point? Or will that lead to skewed results?

Markm

I will check again. Am I able to rotate the engine as I’m testing and see if it seals at some point? Or will that lead to skewed results?
I wouldn’t advise trying to turn the engine with pressure on the cylinder cause it’ll probably end in injury when the engine rotates and tools fly

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Through advice on the forum, Facebook and info found online I ordered a new head gasket and valve cover gasket set with spark plug o-rings. I plan to pull the injectors and see what ones are installed and test them. I have an email sent to ZZP for advice on reading what tune I have in the car if any. With the smaller pulley I’m thinking the stutter under boost at high RPMs is due to the injectors not being large enough. I am thinking about sourcing a stock pulley, depending on what I find with the injectors, and get the car back to stock to see if issues calm down.
M
If you get the 3.0” pulley and 42# injectors then I have a then you can mirror. I’m sure just about any configuration someone on here has a tune you can mirror.
Also, HPTuner has a large catalog of tunes.
Figure out your injector size and type, then You can go from there. If you do end up going all to stock it’s not the end of the world. It’ll still be stupid fast.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If you get the 3.0” pulley and 42# injectors then I have a then you can mirror. I’m sure just about any configuration someone on here has a tune you can mirror.
Also, HPTuner has a large catalog of tunes.
Figure out your injector size and type, then You can go from there. If you do end up going all to stock it’s not the end of the world. It’ll still be stupid fast.
HPT only has stock files in their repository. You might luck up and find one posted in their forum that matches, but I would only consider something like that as a place to start, not a finished tune.

Traé

I didn’t have time for another leak down test but I pulled the injectors…surprisingly easy. Injectors installed seem to be 60# injectors. They are Deka 107961. (Picture attached)

I vacuumed off the area and reinstalled. Started it back up and put a screwdriver on each injector to listen. They all sounded the same and consistent to one another.

The previous owner did say it needed a tune but I still need to solve the issue of cylinder 1. As I mentioned I have a head gasket and a valve cover gasket kit coming. I’m going to hold off on the head gasket until I have the engine pulled and start with the valve cover and spark plug O-ring gaskets and see if that fixes my issue with leaky cylinder 1.

This weekend I will try to find a bore scope and get some pictures of each cylinder for further diagnosis.

I’ll look into getting a tuner and I found a post from Ross with a load of tunes.

Attachments

Traé

Don't be too ready to just yank off that head! How many miles does this timing chain and gears have on it? Not that I want you to rebuild this engine but IF the chain or gears gives up soon after your head gasket install you'll be doing it all over!
Get more testing done; and the bore scope may tell more of the story. With a bore scope I noticed a broken top ring land on a motor burning oil, we would have run it and probably scored the cylinder. A different fix than expected but the original fix prescribed would have been a waste of money and the block would have been toast.
the timing chain will need done, I plan to do that along with new guides and a Dorman bolt. From the little work I did today I’ll hold off on the head gasket.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
As @ah.b.normal stated, don't uncork your engine unless you know there is a definable problem. From the information you've provided so far, you're not there yet - and tearing things apart to replace a head gasket, especially based on arbitrary information from other sources for a (maybe) similar problem someone else had, is more likely to create more problems than your trying to solve in the first place. Step through the problem, making one change at a time and check results - and follow the recommendations that the knowledgeable builders who are available on the Goblin forum have to offer. Building a Goblin is a journey and must be made one step at a time. :D
The wise old sasquatch speaks truth, he has seen many moons, the grasshopper would do well to listen. There is no one to get ahead of but yourself! blah, blah, blah... Yeah, Everything has a value and if ya don't consider worn out chains, guides and such you could be fixing your way into a money pit! Though it takes some effort, it IS possible to spend more on the repairs than an engine is worth! There are sources for complete new engines. I don't know how much but they can be bought and when you consider parts and labor costs plus removal and reinstallation costs, it can really stack up.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
We keep talking "in general". Define some stuff for your helpers. Year, model, ETC. How many miles are on this engine? How sure are you about it's history? Like "I've known it since my Dad bought it at 60K miles. It became my donor at 110K miles." or "this is the Lump that came in my donor. The donor showed 300,000 mi and had half a tank of diesel, mis matched headlights, blue manual passenger door, several giant Metallica Tour 2015 decals covering the fractured rear window, one leather seat, the sunroof leaked, it contained about 300lbs of fast food trash, had 3 mismatched nearly bald tires(one snow tire recap) on steel rims and was running a mini spare you could see the air in from 10' away as the fourth and no battery. But the air gauge I found in the glove box works!"

Traé

We keep talking "in general". Define some stuff for your helpers. Year, model, ETC. How many miles are on this engine? How sure are you about it's history? Like "I've known it since my Dad bought it at 60K miles. It became my donor at 110K miles." or "this is the Lump that came in my donor. The donor showed 300,000 mi and had half a tank of diesel, mis matched headlights, blue manual passenger door, several giant Metallica Tour 2015 decals covering the fractured rear window, one leather seat, the sunroof leaked, it contained about 300lbs of fast food trash, had 3 mismatched nearly bald tires(one snow tire recap) on steel rims and was running a mini spare you could see the air in from 10' away as the fourth and no battery. But the air gauge I found in the glove box works!"
06’ SS/SC with 152k & G85. The car is in decent shape and looks mildly taken care of. Was told it needed a tune but “ran fine” which seems to be the case (pending what I find with more engine diagnosis). The interior is clean other that expected wear from being almost 18 years old. Maintenance is not known as the person I bought it from did not have it long. I need to pick through things and figure out these issues as it seems the young chap I bought it from didnt want to mess with it or know much about the car at all. Had mild damage from hitting a deer which made taking the front bumper off fairly easy.

From the upgrades thrown on it seems he didn’t take all the right steps. From looking through different components I think everything is there for a stage 2 upgrade just needing a tune.

For me the price was right and I went into this donor accepting of possibly needing to pull an engine from somewhere.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
From the available info on engine health I would checkout the timing set. Life on these sets seems to max out at about 160K. I believe it is recommended to replace it at 120K?(This is from memory and I've worked on a lot of different cars, please look that up and tell me what you find, Thank You) If you pull the cover and find no broken guides, check them for wear. I don't think I have heard of anyone on this forum finding no broken/heavily worn guides as most discussed were probably over 120K. Though I believe some found newly replaced chains and gears which brought great joy. This is not a scientific survey, this is just what I believe I recall seeing on this forum and Cobalt SS forum. Plus I'm an old guy and clearly remember when they first came in to general usage that cog belts running OHC systems were originally slated for replacement at 60K then 80K and I believe 80-100K is now the standard. (But everything else in my stable has pushrods so this doesn't apply to me.;))
Find a cobalt manual, it will have recommended intervals for services like timing chains.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Did I mention a new engine will have a warranty? I'm not in the engine biz but I must say sometimes the peace of mind of a warranty is worth about half of what you paid for the engine!!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
"this is the Lump that came in my donor. The donor showed 300,000 mi and had half a tank of diesel, mis matched headlights, 3 mismatched nearly bald tires(one snow tire recap) on steel rims and was running a mini spare you could see the air in from 10' away as the fourth and no battery. But the air gauge I found in the glove box works!"
You laugh, I've bought that car! It was very cheap, it donated the parts I needed and years later that air gauge still works! o_O Oh, and thank heavens my Tetnus booster was up to date!

Traé

You laugh, I've bought that car! It was very cheap, it donated the parts I needed and years later that air gauge still works! o_O Oh, and thank heavens my Tetnus booster was up to date!
Hey! Whatever gets you what you need. Just chuckling at the description of all that was inside / on the car.

Traé

Did I mention a new engine will have a warranty? I'm not in the engine biz but I must say sometimes the peace of mind of a warranty is worth about half of what you paid for the engine!!
We will see how this one goes. I’m very interested in getting everything check out and learning as much as possible with diagnosing along the way.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
We will see how this one goes. I’m very interested in getting everything check out and learning as much as possible with diagnosing along the way.
I’m pleased to hear it!
Learning is the pathway to true adventure! (Quote: Sophomore)

Traé

Pulled valve cover to replace gaskets and noticed milky sludge in the front right rectangular port closest to the front of the car. When everything was back together cylinder 1 passed but cylinder 4 now fails a leak down test. I am puzzled.

Running to get a scope now to look inside.

Air now leaks from cylinder 4 to cylinder 3. Just like it was on cylinder 1. I also noticed air coming from dip stick and the hose connection on the top left back of the engine leading to the intake.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Are you confirming all 4 valve closures since you have the valve cover off? Have you confirmed you are on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke when at TDC?